Week One Summary

Because things in the life of a newborn change SO quickly, I do weekly posts for my kids. This post will cover Tess’s first week of life from July 31st – August 6th

Nursing: Right when Tess was born she seemed to understand how to nurse and what it’s all about. She was my first baby to not want to nurse right away but once she was ready…she was READY! I was SO excited because Kye always nursed for at least 45 min each feeding and Britt always nursed an hour or more at each feeding. Tess? Right from day one she was a quicker, more efficient nurser. 

Not only is she quick, she’s also LOUD. People who came to visit in the hospital would comment on how they could hear her sucking from across the room. There was no doubt in my mind about whether or not she was getting enough! She also rooted constantly. As soon as she woke up she’d start rooting, expecting milk right away and would get mad when it wasn’t an instant thing. 

My milk came in very, very fast as well. Within 24 hours of her being born my breasts felt full and she had a while milk mustache when eating. She also had a LOT of poop diapers so I was very confident in how nursing was going with her. 

With my milk coming in so fast, I think it caused her to suck harder on me and caused me some nipple soreness. I’m thankful I brought my lansinoh cream with me to the hospital! I used it after each feeding the whole first week. I also let them air out a lot in the hospital. Once my milk was fully in though I started leaking and couldn’t let them hang out anymore without getting milk everywhere πŸ˜‰ I’m SO thankful I never got engorged!!! I hardly had any pain at all and this is the first baby I’ve had where I felt like we were in sync with breastfeeding…she was emptying me and I wasn’t overproducing. Such a wonderful feeling!

During the first week it actually wasn’t too too tough keeping her awake for feedings. She tended to nurse fast and furiously then fall asleep when she was done. I for sure didn’t complain about those sweet baby cuddles!

Once home I set up my nursing spot on the couch and nurse there every feeding. Even the middle of the night ones I get up and go to the couch. We tried me nursing in a chair in our bedroom with Britt and it just kept Zach awake and I don’t mind going to the kitchen. Since I use Milkies anyway I have to go to the kitchen after each feeding to store the milk so it makes sense to just be in the living room! 

I thought she had a little angel kiss red spot on her left eye but I’m not sure if it is or not b/c so often it seems to go away!

Sweet, sweet feet!

Since she was feeding SO quickly and I’m not used to that with my prior babies…I did get nervous once we were home about if she was getting enough milk. I decided to pump after her feeding and make sure she was fully emptying me. I only got an ounce of milk so that made me feel good that we were in a rhythm together and I was producing just the right amount for her. I’m so used to producing too much milk and this was def the least milk I’ve ever gotten from a first time pump session!

If you haven’t ever heard of Milkies
you need to get some! I wear it on the side I’m not nursing on. Like if the feeding starts on my right breast, I put it on the left one. It collects the leaking milk and then I’m able to store it. I have two bottles in my fridge. You aren’t supposed to mix warm/room temp/fresh milk with cold milk so I put the fresh in one bottle and then when I have more milk from the next feeding I pour the milk from the prior one into the other bottle with other cold stored milk and pour the fresh milk into the first bottle so it can get cold before the next feeding. It’s a good system and then every day I divide it up and store it to freeze. Because it’s leaked milk it’s not as nutritious as the hind milk that comes at the end of a feeding so I mark each bag with a “M” so I will know it’s a Milkies Milk one. When I go to make bottles from it I will use less of the milkies milk and more pumped milk so she will get the nutrients! But it’s a GREAT way to add to my supply! 

Overall nursing was off to a great start! Her second day of life she cluster fed for like the entire afternoon but after that we were in a solid rhythm of every 3 hours. Even at home! I set an alarm at night and woke her to eat at three hours around the clock to keep our good thing going. It was tough getting so little sleep (I was getting 2 solid hours max between feedings of sleep) but I was glad to make sure she was getting what she needed from me and to keep my body aligned with hers! 

Schedule: In the hospital I slacked on my “start baby wise from birth” plan I followed with Britt. I just wanted to hold Tess and cuddle her and love on her as much as I could so she slept in my arms (or in the arms of visitors) a good bit during our stay. Once we got home though we hit the ground running much more “hardcore” than we have in the past, in my opinion. 

Babywise doesn’t recommend any type of scheduling for the first two weeks but there are still things I do to get in the routine…you can read my post about that here. Since I was setting an alarm at night and waking her to eat…she was pretty much on a routine when we got home from the hospital. And I liked it SO MUCH better than the randomness of life when we brought Britt home. I fed Tess at 7, 10, 1, 4, 7, 10, 1, and 4. Obviously if she woke earlier, I fed her. But that didn’t happen too often! She was getting her 8 feedings in a day and was sleeping well through the times in between! 

Sleeping: With both of our older kids we had them sleep in our room for awhile when we first got home. Zach is a VERY light sleeper and it always causes issues so they never last in our room very long. Tess was def the shortest time period of sleeping near us. Like, legit, she only slept in the brand new bassinet I got next to our bed for about 30 min total. It was 1 am on her first night home and Z and I were bickering about her sleeping there (me wanting her to, him not wanting her to) and it just wasn’t worth it. Our marriage is important and I didn’t want to start off life with three babies on a bad foot. Zach needs his sleep more than I do and I wanted him to be happy with me. So we moved her to her crib that first night and haven’t ever looked back! 

Since Tess does eat quicker, she is able to have a little bit more of awake time! It’s so funny b/c I’m not used to that with a newborn! Both of my other kids ate for so long that they had to go straight to bed after eating. Tess’s awake time was only 5-10 min but she was SO alert and I loved it! I pretty much spent all her awake time just holding her and talking to her πŸ˜‰ I’m quite the baby hog! It was also tricky for me to know how long to keep her awake and at the FIRST sign of her being tired I put her to bed!

That first night was rough and we didn’t get much sleep at all. I was a TOTAL zombie the next day. Casey ended up offering to come and help me and I took her up on it. The kids and Zach were at Mrs. Charlotte’s due to a stomach bug they were experiencing so I tried my best to spend the day just sleeping and nursing. Since being home I tried to get as many naps as possible throughout the day to help make up for my lack of night time sleep. 

During night feedings I’d go put her to bed and if she was fussy I’d nurse her to sleep. It’s not a habit I want to ever do during the day but I know that the process of getting her swaddled for sleep sometimes would wake her and since it was the middle of the night I’d just top her off and then put her back down to bed. 

Tess was a perfect nurser from birth, but not a perfect sleeper. We had some sleep issues from the beginning but I realized quickly that it was gas related. I went aged and started giving her gas drops at the start of each feeding and they made a HUGE difference. I also would swaddle her for nap and then burp her again for a little bit to try to help her get the gas out.

She also came home from the hospital with her days and nights confused. So her naps went pretty smoothly from the starts, but the nights were ROUGH because she was awake so much! Running on such little sleep myself, it was tough not to get frustrated but after a couple days of changing things up to help her distinguish night and day she adjusted and it got easier!

Mrs. Charlotte came and stayed with us two nights during Tess’s first week and it was a LIFESAVER. Zach was able to sleep through the entire night and she helped me in the night. It allowed him to go to work and be refreshed and more helpful for me at home, and she also took care of the kids during the day so I could sleep. It was amazing. If Tess fussed, she would go in and handle it so I could rest between feedings. Seriously a mega blessing  and those two nights set me up to be so, so, so much better. I could problem solve better with Tess and think clearer!

The last night of her first week of life was her first PERFECT night where she slept solid between each feeding time and didn’t have any gas issues at all. Since the next day was Zach’s birthday I told him to sleep and I’d handle night duty that night and he was able to get 6 solid hours! (yes, I’m jealous! haha!)

Yes, we wake our sleeping baby! 

About Tess: It’s amazing to me how babies have so many things in common with each other, yet are also so different. I love Tess’s unique qualities! Her little “elf ear” is so, so adorable to me. Her right ear comes to a point at the top! I read that it will probably stay that way? If it does I don’t mind at all…although I can see her being embarrassed of it when she’s older. Thankfully she’s a girl and her hair will cover it if it does bug her!

Tess is VERY alert and has beautiful blue eyes! I remember Britt only opening one eye a lot while nursing but Tess opens both all the time and keeps them open while eating and during her awake time. She’s for sure my most alert baby! In the hospital she had a lot of goop in her eyes and a clogged tear duct but once we were home that was completely cleared up. She also had some busted blood vessels in her eyes from childbirth and those took a bit longer to go away. 

You can see the busted vessel in this pic…and you can also see how her breasts were swollen. Which is normal for baby girls! Her privates were mega swollen at birth but went down a lot during her first week home. 

Of course another awesome quality Tess has is all her hair! Her hair on her head is awesome. Thick and long and beautiful. Then she has these amazing eye lashes and eye brows to go with it! Super model baby for sure πŸ™‚

Kye and Britt both held their heads up very well from birth and Tess isn’t able to do that yet. She does have some head/neck control, just not as much as we are used to with our babies. However, she already puts her hands together! And that’s something Britt wasn’t doing at one month old even! She puts them together all the time while she’s awake. 

I also think it’s so cute how Tess puts her legs folded and up all the time. I bet money it’s how she was in the womb. Anytime I lay her down this is how she puts her little legs πŸ˜‰ 

Kye is mega grossed out by her umbilical cord. The hospital told us to do alcohol on it at each diaper change but I remembered from Britt that our pediatrician said to only do it a couple times a day. So Zach did it every time he changed her but I didn’t. I just HATE putting the alcohol on there because it’s cold and I can tell it bugs her! 

Tess poops constantly. I stopped tracking her wets and dirties before we even left the hospital. Prior to her birth I had bought a couple smaller packs of newborn diapers but once we were home Zach went and bought a jumbo box. She had her first blowout at 6 days old, I’m honestly surprised it didn’t happen sooner! Her poop also transitioned at the hospital from the dark, first poop type junk to the seedy/yellow breastfed baby poop. 

After her first bath her skin started to peel which I read can be from it drying out from the water? But with all her hair she needed a bath! Her hands peeled really bad, but her face wasn’t too too bad at all. She had her first bath on August 5th and on August 6th I gave her a massage for the first time. We usually do it each night after bath with our babies but life with three is a bit crazier haha. I skipped her bath that night and did the massage instead and she really enjoyed it!

Siblings: This was an insane week for us all. Not only did we bring Tess into the world and into our home, but everyone got sick. Britt puked our first night home and she kicked things off with the stomach virus. Then Zach didn’t feel good. And by the end of the week Kye wasn’t feeling good either. Britt was the only one who ever actually threw up but it was still tough to care for sick children and husband and have a new baby at home! Somehow Tess and I managed to stay healthy, thank the lord. And it was a blessing that Zach and the older kids could go to Mrs. Charlotte’s for a bit to keep the sickness out of the house! 

It was the last week of summer so it was a lazy get-well week for everyone!

Pedialite was our friend that week!

Before having Tess I expected Britt to show ZERO interest and thought, for sure, Kye would be mega super hands on and helpful. Once Tess arrived, things were a bit different than I had pictured. Kye is in LOVE with her. He wants to constantly kiss on her, hold her, and love on her when she’s awake. But helping? No thanks. Britt, on the other hand, is less interested in “playing” with Tess and more interested in the helping aspect. She always wants to help me do everything which is so sweet and a wonderful surprise! Neither child has shown any jealousy type issues nor any regression of any kind. 

Kye did have two night walking episodes this week which were SCARY. One was the night Tess was born when they stayed at Mrs. Charlotte’s. Mr. Rusty woke up in the night to Kye beside his bed saying he needed to go help Daddy. And then when we were home Kye slept walk down stairs and into our room and he was saying he needed his mommy. He doesn’t remember either instance ever happening but I assume it was due to all the emotions, change of schedules, and lack of sleep that caused it!

Helping wake Tess up

Helping turn on her fan

She’s such a great big sister! She is also a great mommy to her babies πŸ˜‰

Sweet Tess cuddles!

I love how proud she looks!

Britt was very excited to talk to Tess and the first thing she ever wanted to tell her was that we are going to the beach and pool in October πŸ˜‰ Britt has been talking about our beach trip since we got home back in May and I actually booked a beach trip for our family because she loved it so much! She’s been so excited for the baby to be born so we can go back to the beach πŸ˜‰

I also told the kids that I think Tess looks like Pocahontas because she has darker skin and such pretty dark hair. Kye said “no ma’am she looks like GOOFY!” haha

I love how they are all holding hands πŸ™‚

Products: Obviously a new baby means a LOT of new products for me to be using! I wanted to mention some of my favorites from this week πŸ™‚

When I had Kye I would give him massages with lotion. Then we realized it actually caused his skin to be DRY! When Britt was born we used baby oil because I read it’s a lot better for their skin. We found Baby Oil Gel
and it’s AMAZING. Much, much less messy than regular baby oil! If you do infant massages I totally recommend getting some!

When we had Britt we invested in an Angel Care Monitor. I loved it but have heard AMAZING things about the Snuza. I decided to purchase a Snuza only to use for travel. Traveling with the Angel Care monitor is a bit annoying and I thought the Snuza would be the way to go for us when we were out and about and when Tess was napping other places than at home. When we brought her home that first night we went to turn on our Angel Care and it didn’t work! SO thankful I had bought the Snuza!!! We used it that first night and totally looooove it! We never bothered fixing our Angel Care and will be using this from now on πŸ™‚ The one we have isn’t made by Snuza. I read that Snuza sold their product so now it’s called Levana
. I bought the oma + model
as it vibrates if the baby stops breathing to help wake them and get them breathing again πŸ™‚

Another awesome product to go along with breastfeeding are Booby Tubes
. They can be used in the microwave or in the freezer. You can use them cold to help ease breast pain between feedings or warm them to help with clogged ducts/mastitis. I used them a good bit this week to help my nipples when they were tender. The shape of them is perfect for breasts and they fit in a bra too! I slept with them in to help give me relief! 

Blessings: We were SO blessed the first week (and beyond!) with so much food, wonderful visitors, and thoughtful gifts! I tried to get pics of the gifts with Tess so I will post those with the weeks that I took the photos πŸ™‚ 

I did have a GENIUS idea as we started to get food…after we ate the dinners we would store the leftovers in tupperwear and then label them with masking tape. I put the day and date that someone brought them to us. I know I could have just put the date but honestly with a new baby it’s hard to remember the date haha. So I put both πŸ˜‰ That way we knew how long things were in our fridge and it really helped us to eat things in order so stuff didn’t spoil. We tried to eat the oldest food first each time we ate any left overs! We barely threw anything out and it was a great system!

When we got home from the hospital I had an inbox FB message from an extremely sweet blog reader! Her daughter’s birthday is right around the same time as Tess’s and she offered to give us ALL her baby clothes!!! I still can’t believe it! BEYOND generous and oh my goodness every single thing she gave us is beautiful! Tess is one stylish baby now! Thank yo SO MUCH to AnnElise!!!! Britt being a Dec baby and Tess being a July baby means a lot of Britt’s old clothes won’t work since they are the wrong season so it’s been an amazing blessing to have these clothes!

Check out just Tess’s nb and 3 month sizes!

Other Things from This Week: Casey and I were mega pumped for Carter and Tess to meet so she brought him over one afternoon. It’s CRAZY how MASSIVE he looks now that we have Tess!!! They are 8 weeks apart but he looks like he could eat her haha! I’m so excited for them to grow up together and be best buddies like Zach and I are with Carter’s parents πŸ™‚

When I saw these pics of them together my first thought was how I just can’t BELIEVE Tess wasn’t jaundice?!?! Her skin is so dark and her eyes totally look yellow right?!?! But they tested her and she wasn’t! I think maybe the yellowish in her eyes was from the goop due to her clogged tear ducts. And the child just has natural dark beautiful skin πŸ˜‰

Even though the first week with a new baby at home is pretty crazy, I truly enjoyed it so much more this time around than I have before. I appreciate Tess in a totally deeper way. With the first baby it’s all SO overwhelming. Then with the second it was so much guilt that I couldn’t give my all to Kye. Now? I know Tess will require my attention the most. I know it’s a very short phase so I am just enjoying all the baby snuggles! 

Here are some more cute pics of Tess from this week:

It always freaks me out when babies cross their eyes haha

Videos: Here are a couple videos from this week!

Zach waking Tess from nap

Here are the kids helping Zach wake Tess

Here is Kye singing one of his many made up songs to Tess

Mrs. Charlotte: When Kye was born my mom stayed with us for almost the whole first week. Since she lived out of town it made sense for her to come and stay. With Britt, my mom lived local and Zach and I never felt like we needed anyone to stay with us. When Courtney had her babies her mother in law came and stayed and when Casey had Carter she just really wanted it to be her and Jordan and for them to adjust to their new lives as parents together. Mrs. Charlotte has SIX grand babies but hasn’t ever stayed the night with any of them during their first week of life! I could tell in talking to her that she wanted to get that chance. And the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of her coming to spend the night with us for a couple nights. Zach and I tend to argue a good bit during the first week with a baby at home b/c we are both SO tired. He needs his sleep more than I do and I was nervous about us being tired and taking it out on the older children (getting easily frustrated with them, losing patience, etc). So the idea of someone else staying and helping me and letting Zach get full sleep was genius. He was able to function at his best and having ONE of us at 100% was better than having both of us at 50% for sure!!!

She came to stay Monday and Tuesday night and it went AWESOME. She’s truly such a blessing to me. She helped me care for Tess in the night when she would cry and I could sleep soundly knowing that Mrs. Charlotte would do for Tess the exact thing I would do. Mrs. Charlotte is always so supportive of our parenting decisions and choices. She never tried to tell us to just let Tess sleep with us, or hold her all night, etc. She followed our lead on everything and I loved having her company! Plus during the days she helped the older kids have FUN so I could nap, shower, and take care of myself and Tess. And that allowed Zach to get a couple days of work in. We ended up not missing out on any income with Tess’s birth! HUGE blessing!!! I’m so, so, SO appreciative and thankful to have Mrs. Charlotte in my life!

Postpartum: I had many goals for myself when it came to baby #3. One of the biggies was about my recovery. I KNOW what it takes to recover from childbirth. Rest, rest, and rest. It’s easy to push yourself too hard too fast and then pay for it later. In the hospital I didn’t get much sleep but once I got home I napped as much as I possibly could. The whole first week I had help with the older kids so I was able to sleep! It allowed me to be able to function throughout the day!

I also had the goal to shower every day. I know that sounds like a silly goal but when you are nursing around the clock and super mega exhausted…it’s easy to skip showering. Not only did I shower each day but I forced myself to also get ready. Not like my sunday best or anything but makeup was applied, hair was fixed, and clothes other than pjs were worn each day. It helped that we had people bringing food in the evenings! When we had Kye I remember going and hiding in the bedroom when people brought food and Z would tell them I was sleeping haha but this time around I legit visited with each visitor and was alive enough to enjoy their company πŸ™‚

In addition to the shower each day I also made sure I spent 20-30 min soaking in an epsom salt tub TWO times a day. I don’t think I’ve ever actually soaked in the bath that much after having a baby. But it REALLY made a difference in my healing!!!

A big concern when I first had Tess was my belly button. It had stuck out during pregnancy and was STILL an outie after her birth. I think I asked probably 5 of the nurses about it during my hospital stay. They assured me it would go back in and it did within the first week. Whew πŸ˜‰

I did a great job taking my meds this time around. I know how important they are! Pain only makes everything worse! Even with the IBProphen I still had a lot of pain in my arms, especially my forearms and my back. My back felt like someone literally had hit me with a stick straight across it over and over all the way down. Zach said both pain issues were from the pushing. He said it was like running a marathon without the training. I was using ALL my energy and pushing my body to an extreme it hadn’t experienced in a long time (if ever as this was my best pushing for sure!) so of course the pain would linger from that!

The after birth cramping was pretty legit…I laugh though when people complain about that? I mean sure it hurts but it’s not that bad. And it’s a good thing b/c it’s helping your body get back to normal! Bring on some cramps if it helps me lose the baby weight right?!?!? Speaking of baby weight…when I left the hospital I’d only lost  4 lbs. And my baby weighed 7! Ugh! My body just does NOT drop baby weight very fast or very easily. I knew that going in this time around and haven’t stressed it. It is what it is! The worst part to me is my FACE. Ugh. It’s SO puffy still. I hate it!!! It was so thin after Britt and I hope it thins out soon!

Also with both prior pregnancies my postpartum bleeding was pretty intense. This time it was very light once we got home from the hospital. I kept it all really really clean down there haha! It’s funny b/c I have just wanted to be CLEAN this time around. Even in labor I was mega concerned with feeling clean and in postpartum I have been super hardcore about changing out my pads, taking all the showers, etc. I wonder if Tess will be the kind of baby that hates having a poop diaper? Because she sure has turned me into a clean freak!

When the hospital called to check on me and asked how I was doing I told them “well I am exhausted and feel like I’ve been hit by a truck so I think I just had a baby” haha. The lady said that the recovery process gets harder and harder with each baby you have. I believe it. My body hurt more and longer this time AND I’ve been WAY more exhausted. But at the same time I have recovered, over all, quicker than ever before. I’ve been in a way way way better mood. I’ve been more productive (my house stayed spotless all week!) and just feel better overall. I know that the rest, showering, getting ready, and baths were to thank for that!!!!

I zero percent miss being pregnant. I had enjoyed my pregnancy so much with Britt that I remember after she was born missing having her inside me. Nope. Not this time! I’m happy to be done being pregnant and LOVE that I can bend over easily without any pain πŸ™‚

Before having Tess I bought a Bellefit
after reading about it online. I wore it a couple hours each day the first week and LOVE IT. It was so small on me that I had to lay on the bed and have ZACH zip it up haha. It was mega tight but wasn’t too, too uncomfortable. Supposedly it really helps tighten the stomach back up after baby! I wore this to Tess’s 2 day hospital visit so it’s 4 days postpartum. Told ya it’s legit! You can read more about it on their site here!

Sibling Newborn Updates: I did a weekly update each week for both Kye and Britt. Of course Kye was my first and I was a new blogger so his wasn’t quite as organized as his sisters’ πŸ™‚  You can look back at Kye’s first week here (it’s actually his first two weeks combined) and at Britt’s here!

Sharing is caring!

Emily Parker

Hey Y’all, I’m Emily! I’m a stay at home mom and consider parenting to be my passion. Disney is my happiest place and I love making memories as a family together. I’m a big believer in transparency and share all of my real-life moments as a mother of four.

My work has been featured on Love What Matters, Today Parenting and Babywise.Life. I’m also honored to be a member of the Babywise Friendly Blog Network.

You can read more about our family on my About Me page. Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram, FacebookΒ and Pinterest!

Find me on: Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Week One Summary

Yes, I’m doing weekly updates for awhile (they’d be recording breakingly long if I attempted to do it monthly since SO much changes week-to-week with a newborn). And yes, I’m also way behind. I did so good getting caught up when I was pregnant only to fall back behind, but I’m not stressed over getting caught up. I have ZERO life now so there isn’t much to be blogging about πŸ™‚

Here are some of the things I learned about Brittlynn during her first week of life:

Nursing: She often nursed with one eye opened and one eye closed. She was an extremely slow nurser. She’d take an hour to an hour and half per feeding. Thankfully, even at the hospital, she never really ate every two hours. She always went about three hours between each feeding. You judge time between feedings based on the time the feeding started so that means she’d nurse for an hour then I’d have a two hour break then she’d be nursing again. Sometimes the feedings even went longer than that, our first Saturday night home she ate for literally 3 hours. Pretty exhausting for mama! Even though her feeding length was long, she actually was a quick nurser. She’d suck-suck-suck then take a mega long break. She’d eat for 15 min then take a 5-10 min break then eat for 15 more etc. If I tried to rush her it didn’t help things, she just needed that break. It wasn’t like she was fully sleeping…she was just more resting. I didn’t have to use any lansinoh cream. My nipples were still hurting a little bit when she’d latch on but then it wasn’t an issue. My milk actually came in while still in the hospital and I was engorged when we first got home but I managed it and got through it without any issues!!! I was also able to nurse in front of people a lot more comfortably. I can nurse on the couch or really anywhere which is a BIG improvement from last time. I don’t like using the hooter hider (she gets SO hot and it’s tough to see her) but I can do it which worked out well since I had to feed her so often. I only used it when male company was present, if you come to see us and you’re a female be prepared for some boob viewage πŸ˜‰

Sleeping: At first she had her nights and days confused and we think it’s due to us staying in the hospital longer with her than with Kye and she got used to the bright nursery lights at night. We got her on track pretty quickly by making it obvious when it was night and daytime. We made the lights bright and talked loudly at her first feeding each morning and started having her sleep in the pack and play for naps and the bassinet at night. It only took one day to get her on track with it! When she was 6 days old (the Monday after she was born), she ate at 9 pm then at 220 am then again at 6 am which gave me 5 broken hours of sleep! Zach and I were high-fiving and soooo pumped about it. It’s funny the things that get you excited when you have a newborn in the house πŸ˜‰ She sleeps with her mouth opened and pretty much breaths through her mouth while sleeping so it’s mega loud. Having her in our room was tough and Zach ended up spending most nights on the couch πŸ™  Since she nursed so long and slept so much she was pretty much going straight to bed after I fed her. With Babywise it’s crucial to implement the eat-awake-sleep cycle as soon as possible so her awake time would typically only be long enough for a diaper change!

Smiling: I know they say newborns just smile b/c gas but this sweet girl smiles ALL the time. Especially when sleeping. Zach and I both love it πŸ™‚ 

Diapers: They say girls are more expensive than boys and it’s already true. This child tore through some diapers her first week. She literally would poop during each feeding (which there are eight feedings a day) and after each feeding. During the day we change her diaper after feedings to help her have awake time and at night we change them before feedings to help her wake up to eat. Zach typically does the night changes so I can get ready to nurse and he had to come get her many times between breasts to change another poop diaper!!! Before even coming home from the hospital her poop had changed to the yellow seedy looking stuff. She’d often poop during diaper changes, sometimes 3-4 times!!! People also told us that boys are tougher for diaper changes b/c they’d spray you with their pee…well hers comes out in a HUGE gush and it’s harder to control than the little sprayer was πŸ™‚ We are new to the world of girl private parts (well, I have one but I don’t really deal with it the way we have to with her…) and that thing was SO swollen for the longest time! And it was red AND it had lots of white discharge coming from it. They told us that it’s normal b/c of all the hormones she was getting from me…but it was still different. Cleaning down there is tough too b/c of all the areas stuff can get into!

Other Stuff about Britt:

  • Her skin looked like it was shedding. And I guess it was! We asked at the 2 day hospital visit and the nurse told us that it’s just a sign of a healthy, full term baby. πŸ™‚ 
  • We did a little bit of cio the first week home with her (towards the end of the first week) because it seemed like she was wanting to nurse herself to sleep all the time (great at night, not great during the day!). She fell asleep within the first two minutes
  • She does not like to wear hats so we never put them on her, its obvious that her mood shifts to grumpy when she has one on. We could tell that even at the hospital so we always took it off of her when they brought her to us
  • She starting holding up her head on her own within her first three days of life. (She started holding it up on Thursday Dec 8th)
  • Like her brother, she loves lights and will stare and stare at them
  • Her newborn sized sleepers stopped fitting on Friday Dec 9th (too short in the arms and her legs couldn’t full stretch out) so we had to start putting her in 3 month ones! They were a little big but not by much!
  • My song with Kye has always been “Lean on Me” with her I’m singing the same song my mom sand to me my whole life “You are my Sunshine” 

Here’s some pictures of her from her first week!!!

See that smile!

Serious face

While I was engorged, I pumped some. I would pump after she ate to relieve my discomfort and I really think it helped. Last time around I was afraid to pump thinking it would make me more engorged by making me produce more milk, but it didn’t at all. And it gave me a nice start to my stored milk πŸ™‚

Kye far surpassed all expectations we had of him with a new baby at home! He showed no signs of jealousy and he LOVED all the visitors (everyone who stopped by did a great job at playing along with our telling Kye that they were there to see him and they all spent lots of time with him showering him with attention). He constantly asked to hold her and see her every time she was awake and he gave her an endless number of kisses. He, surprisingly, showed zero interest in helping us with her though. Didn’t want to help change diapers or anything. Totally fine by me (you can get it done SO much quicker without toddler help) but it surprised me. He always said”hey baby” in the sweetest voice when he saw her. When we rode in the car with her (home from the hospital, to her appointment etc) he enjoyed singing to her, especially his ABC’s and “Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer.”

She looks so chunky here, but I love his proud face!!!

Playing together already!

Something Zach has always done with Kye is bedtime routine stuff. I LOVE that he’s an involved dad, but felt so bad during Brittlynn’s first couple weeks of life because he rarely got to spend time with her. She was always eating or sleeping!!! Here he read her first book to her, but only made it through the first two pages and she got fussy, needing to go to sleep!

On our first Saturday home as a family Zach and I BOTH had the same thought…we both thought it’d be a fun treat to go get donuts. I thought it’d be a great family outing and was eager to see how cute Kye would be showing off his little sister. However, I was OUT of it. So, so exhausted and couldn’t attempt to get ready to go somewhere. Instead Zach took both kids and just drove through for donuts. It was still nice for him to get to do something with them and gave me a chance to soak in a bath for a little bit. Plus we got DONUTS. Um – amazzzzing.

First little outing!


Also on Saturday we started a bedtime routine with Brittlynn. It’s important to have some type of ritual before bed each night so babies learn the difference between night and day. Since her awake time is so short, we started alternating what we did each night. We’d bathe her, wash her hair or massage her instead of doing them all. With Kye we always did bath, massage, story and prayer before bed. We’ve yet to introduce story or prayer time with Brittlynn. She’d sleep right through it! So that Saturday night we did a massage with her for the first time. I LOVED the time just the three of us together (Kye was in bed). It was nice to give full, undivided attention to her and to get to do that together was special. Since then I’ve pretty much slept during her bedtime ritual…so Zach gets that quality one on one time which is still great! For Kye’s massages we always used lotion but I found out that it actually dries out your skin, therefore making you need more lotion. Not cool. With Brittlynn we’re using baby oil and it’s gross to put on but I know it’s better for her skin! 

First massage!

She LOVED it!

Nice and warm by the fire πŸ™‚

First time using Mamaroo swing

We used onesies with mittens for night time so she wouldn’t scratch herself while nursing at night (when I was too sleepy to pay attention to that)

First tummy time (Sunday Dec 11th)

Such a good daddy, holding one baby while playing dress up with the other πŸ™‚

napping in the pack and play in her room

first time she peed through a diaper (12/11)

I remember reading Robyn’s blog about Lorelai and every update she’d say “her eyes are still blue!” It always made my laugh…but with Brittlynn I’ll probably always update about the status of her hair. I LOVE her hair and I don’t want it to fall out like Kye’s did (and it took a YEAR for his to grow back…yikes). So as of the end of week one…she still had all her hair and none had (noticeably anyway) fallen out! It appears to have lots of undergrowth which Mom said is a good sign that she won’t lose it…but I’m not getting my hopes up!

I LOVE having a newborn at Christmas time because I got to nurse under all the pretty lights πŸ™‚

cuddling with Daddy

Schedule: When Kye was born I had never heard of Babywise. I didn’t hear of it until he was about 3 weeks old (thanks to Crissy!) and didn’t start really implementing it until he was 6 weeks old. This time, we’re Babywise from the start. It’s interesting because I know quite a bit about it, yet know nothing about the early weeks and what to do. I’ve had to ask for help from some of the mommies I actually introduced it to (such a great circle!!!). The first two weeks of a baby’s life, according to Babywise, are about having the goal of establishing full feedings. That’s it. You don’t worry about scheduling or anything else – just making sure the baby gets a full feeding. A full feeding is one where they eat from each breast and should last around 40 min. You have to work to keep the baby awake and such but it’s worth it b/c a baby who gets full feedings from day one (no snacking!) will naturally fall into a schedule on their own within the first two weeks. 

Many Babywise moms say they love the first two weeks of a baby’s life because they can hold them while sleeping and break other babywise “rules.” Zach and I couldn’t stand it. We never slept with her in our arms…we felt too guilty about it!!! I really didn’t like not knowing when she’d need to eat next or where the day would take me. It was so tough. Sometimes she’d eat 8 times a day. Sometimes 12 times. Sometimes our day would “start” (if you can say it ever ends when you’re feeding around the clock!) at 7, sometimes 8, sometimes 6. It was not an enjoyable phase for me. I’m a girl who thrives in a world of a schedule! I AM proud of myself though b/c I didn’t force one on her. I let her do her thing and truly fed on demand. When she cried, I fed her. I wanted to establish a great breastfeeding relationship and I knew this was KEY! πŸ™‚ 

While Zach and I don’t like the first two weeks without a schedule, our families do. Once we get hardcore, we GET hardcore. Don’t bother visiting because if the baby is asleep we won’t be waking her. However, during that non-schedule time we encouraged everyone to visit often so they could hold her and cuddle her while she wasn’t needing to be sleeping in her bed yet (however, whenever she wasn’t in her bed she was hungry…so it often ended up being that people would get to hold her for a few minutes then I’d be nursing!). People didn’t take advantage of it as much as I thought they would and now that opportunity is gone! Hope you got your fill πŸ˜‰ 

Robyn and Matt

G-Mama (Mom came a good bit too but I didn’t get pics for some reason!)

Casey and Jordan

Postpartum Week 1: Having a baby is no joke…it pretty much wears you out physically! I tried to sleep as much as I could that first week, but it was hard to squeeze it in since she ate so often, for so long, and since I also wanted to give Kye attention. If you haven’t noticed I’m pretty much a perfectionist and I wanted to be able to jump right into having two with no issues. Um, not possible! Zach went back to work the day after we got home from the hospital. He’s paid on commission only, he didn’t work the two days I was in the hospital, and it was his busiest time of the year. So I get it, he needed to be working but I also wasn’t ready for that. Mom helped me a TON and I planned on having both kids on my own on Tuesday (she’d be officially one week old). The night before a lot of company was over and after they left I had a breakdown. I realized there was NO WAY I was ready. That afternoon I’d had them both on my own for like an hour while Zach was upstairs working on setting up a new fax machine and it was stressful. It wasn’t that it was hard it was that I felt a TON of guilt. I had to put Britt first but that meant not putting Kye first and I’m used to Kye coming first (as is he!). Emotionally I just couldn’t deal with it (although I don’t even think Kye cared one bit!) but I felt a lot better after reading the babywise blog about it…Valerie said it’s best not to be alone with both kids for like the first four weeks and that she doesn’t even have her older children at home for awhile with the newborn. To me, she’s Super Mom so I felt WAY better about myself for feeling the way I did. I ended up calling Mrs Charlotte and telling her I needed help. This was tough for me as I am very independent. But I told her and Mom both that I needed them to help me handle Kye and my plan was to not have them both alone until after Christmas (giving me a little over two weeks with help). I felt SO much better with a plan and didn’t feel guilt having Kye go places, I know he enjoyed it and I felt less guilty focusing on her when he wasn’t there.

I remember after having Kye I LOVED rubbing my stomach because it felt so empty and flat (I mean, duh, it wasn’t actually flat but compared to a huge pregnant belly it was!). It was great coming home from the hospital and taking a shower…when I looked down I could see my privates again!!! I also didn’t have any new stretch marks. All the same ones from my first pregnancy, but no new ones to report! Isn’t that some kind of miracle?!? My arms were pretty weak (not nearly as bad as last time though) and my inner thighs were beyond sore (from spreading so wide when pushing). My hands even got sore because of all the funky positions you put them in when nursing haha! Since I didn’t have a major episiotemy this time around, I didn’t use my little ring to sit on but quickly realized I NEEDED it. I was so sore “down there” simply from sitting so much. There was a lot of pressure being put on my area that needed healing and it wasn’t a good situation, sitting on the ring helped a TON and I’m still sitting on it while nursing. But for awhile I even needed to sit on it while eating or on the computer or anywhere I sat!

Here are some pictures of me during the first week after giving birth. When I had her I had gained 22 lbs overall. When I left the hospital two days later I  had 17 lb left to lose (I’d lost 5 lb) and I still had a decent sized belly on me. I got dressed to take her for her two day checkup at the hospital and was pleasantly surprised by how much my stomach had gone down!

Wearing much too big maternity shirt (jeggings still fit though)

I do have that dark line on my stomach to my belly button…I didn’t have it before…it goes away right???

17 lb over goal weight

On the day she turned one week old I weighed myself again and this time I was down another 6 lb and only had 11 lb left to lose (and that was only 5 days after I had been weighed)!!! I was SHOCKED! I had been chowing down since coming home from the hospital. I especially had been craving mega healthy food. I LOVED it all. Anything anyone brought us I ate happily πŸ˜‰ I snacked at night. I ate as much junk as I wanted. I ate WAY more food, WAY more often than I did when pregnant yet I still lost weight…maybe this time breastfeeding is helping me out!!! With Kye I didn’t lose a single pound in the first 8 weeks at home. Breastfeeding did nothing  for me in the area of baby weight loss so I assumed it wouldn’t be helping me out this time, I’m glad I was wrong πŸ™‚

Here’s how I looked one week postpartum

11 lb left to lose!
Here is what I looked like the first week after having Kye

Other postpartum stuff: My skin looked horrible. It looked clearer than it did during pregnancy as far as zits and such but worse with the malsma. I think it shows worse this pregnancy because I’m not tan AT ALL. This is the palest I’ve been since high school. Gross. My bleeding the whole first week was still pretty bad and I needed to wear the mega thick pads and had to change them pretty much every time I peed. I pretty much wore the hospital underwear the whole first week. They were mesh and sooo comfortable. Why put on mine when I can wear those comfy things? I was even wearing them in all the pictures above! 

In the brief times I’d get to sleep at night I’d wake up SO sweaty. Mega gross. I also had the same dream over and over again. Every single time I woke up at night I’d awaken in a panic and think I’d fallen asleep with Brittlynn in the bed and I’d killed her. A VERY stupid dream since I don’t even nurse her in bed!!! Zach said I’d wake up with a jerk and even say things to him about taking her to her room and such.


Overall, it was a crazy yet wonderful first week…I don’t think I was as nice and welcoming as I was the first go round but I think I managed okay for everything that was going on!

Emily Parker

Hey Y’all, I’m Emily! I’m a stay at home mom and consider parenting to be my passion. Disney is my happiest place and I love making memories as a family together. I’m a big believer in transparency and share all of my real-life moments as a mother of four.

My work has been featured on Love What Matters, Today Parenting and Babywise.Life. I’m also honored to be a member of the Babywise Friendly Blog Network.

You can read more about our family on my About Me page. Also be sure to follow along with me on Instagram, FacebookΒ and Pinterest!

Find me on: Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook


  1. Anna
    January 2, 2012 / 1:18 am

    In MY eyes,Β YOU are Super Mom!Β  Like I've said before, I love reading your posts and it's already helped me so much prepare for what's ahead.Β  You are a great mother… and you look great too!!

  2. Forddygirl
    January 2, 2012 / 2:03 am

    Her smiles are BEAUTIFUL!!! And so big!!!I 100% agree that girls are harder to change. After the 1st week and the circ has healed, boys are EASY! Mack ONLY peed on us once i think. Rhyan? At LEAST 12 times. For real. Now, part of that might be b/c we were slower changing her but honestly, I wasnt "fast" with Mack… i had to do the dollop of vaseline and that took time!I loathe the 1st 2 weeks in terms of feeding. I like the not worrying about sleep schedules but with nursing, no schedule stinks. Its easier with bottle feeding b/c I KNOW the baby is getting a good solid feeding. But with nursing its harder.Girl… you aint seen white till you've seen ME. Geesh. Its gross.Dark line… i never got it but i assume it goes away? My belly button was SO stretched after mack and while I didnt have any new stretch marks, I WAS def worried that my bellybutton would forever be dark in color (what was that all about?!) and stretched out. But it all went back. Well… went back as well as it does when you dont exercise πŸ˜‰

  3. Laura
    January 2, 2012 / 3:50 am

    She is so pretty!! I felt the same way about Abigail's hair!! She had THICK, black hair when she was born and I didn't want it to fall out. It has thinned a lot but I Β guess there was a decent amount of undergrowth so has never been bald. Just that stupid bald spot in the back from sleeping in her swing while she was sick. πŸ™ She kinda has a fauxhawk though because it hasn't fallen out right on top. I can't wait until it gets a bit longer so I can get it cut to even it out. Britt has a good bit of hair so maybe it won't ALL fall out. I would have never guessed that girls are harder to change!! It is hard to control though, Abigail would always manage to get her onesie because it would go straight down and up her back. lol! And the linea nigra (black line) on your tummy is supposed to go away. Every women is different so there's no specific timeframe. Abigail just turned 6 months and I still have a little shadow of mine. I didn't mind it one bit while I was pregnant but I think it just looks ugly when you're not. My doctor says it shows darker on women who tan easily. Β 

  4. Rachael_Copponex
    January 2, 2012 / 10:10 pm

    She seems like she has a darker complexion than Kye did? Β Macys hair only fell out in a line from where her head rested…. Β actually all of her hair was short in the back and long in the front πŸ™‚ Β Your body looks great post baby!

  5. emilysparker
    January 3, 2012 / 8:06 am

    She totally does! Kye is mr pastey for sure…maybe she wil get lucky and have my moms dark skin! Thanks…I def think not gaining as much helped me out!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *