2 Day Hospital Visit

Links to Amazon are affiliate links.

During our hospital stay I was pretty nervous about the amount of weight Tess would lose. She had SO MUCH poop as well as a lot of fluid so I knew both could affect her weight loss. I told the nurses up front that I would not be giving any formula, regardless of her weight loss report. Thankfully when we left the hospital she weighed 6 lbs 10 oz which was only a 6 oz loss and they said that was totally within normal range 🙂 Whew! 

Our hospital has a policy where you go home for a couple days then they have you come back to do a check-up on the baby. We got discharged from the hospital on Saturday and had to go back up there on Monday. With the stomach bug hitting our house it actually all worked out pretty well for that appointment. The big kids were at G-Mama’s to avoid getting Tess sick and Zach had come home Sunday so he could rest and feel better. He felt a LOT better on Monday but still stayed home from work to rest up and so he could go to the hospital appointment with me.

The appointment was at 1 and she ate at 11:30 so we just left as soon as she was done eating to get up there early and hopefully get back early as well. Zach picked out her outfit for her to wear for the big event…it’s one of Britt’s old ones that my mom actually got for her. Love the little bird on it!

She slept in the car on the way there and stayed asleep when we got there too!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Tess failed her hearing exam. I was pretty nervous about this hospital visit because it’s where they would be retesting her. If she failed it again we’d have to go see a specialist. By the time of the appointment I was feeling MUCH better about her passing since

we had done a good bit of talking to her and could tell she can hear out of the left ear (the ear she failed). I also had done my research about it and had talked to some friends who also said their babies failed and then passed the second time around. Even feeling better about it, I was still a nervous wreck when we got there and it was time for them to test her!

I’m SO glad we had kept her asleep in the car seat b/c the nurse took the whole car seat to the exam and said her being asleep would help. She told us it could take 5 min or it could take an hour and we couldn’t go with her for the test. Ugh. It was a LONG wait even though it probably was less than 10 min. I was just dying! The nurse came in and didn’t tell us right away whether she passed or failed! When she said she passed I said “Praise the LORD!” and the nurse looked at me like I was a crazy person! I guess they really do have to retest a lot of babies and must never be too concerned about it haha. 

We discussed her dirty and wet diapers and I told the nurse that I had stopped tracking them the day we got home from the hospital because the count was like a million. Seriously child had constant wet and dirty diapers. All my babies have been that way which is a HUGE blessing. I heard a lady with her baby say to the nurse that hers had only had 3 poop diapers since leaving the hospital. I’m sure that’s a normal amount but I am thankful my kids have always had too many to even track. 

She weighed her and said she was so shocked to see that Tess had gained 4 OZ since leaving the hospital two days prior! YAY!!! She was 6 lbs 14 oz! Only 2 oz shy of her birth weight 🙂 As a breastfeeding mama, nothing makes you prouder 🙂

The nurse also did her jaundice test and I am STILL in disbelief that the child didn’t have jaundice. Her skin is SO dark and pretty!!! How is that possible?!?! Even in some pics I’ve been editing of her I can see a yellowish tint which I always thought meant jaundice?!! I’m glad she passed the test and I guess she just has naturally dark skin (my little Pocahontas). I did keep her next to the window during pretty much all of our hospital stay. I did that so we’d have good lighting for pictures (I left the shade opened literally all day, every day that we were there. Natural light is the BEST for good pics! I was sweating like crazy but it was worth it haha). I didn’t even think about it helping Tess if she was jaundice but Mrs. Charlotte came to visit us up there and commented on how smart it was to keep her in the natural sunlight like that. Maybe it helped without me even realizing it?!?!

She also told us that Tess’s breasts are swollen due to hormones and that it’s very normal. She said her privates don’t look swollen at all (they were in the hospital big time!) and not to be surprised if she had a period. Whhhhhat?!?! I have NEVER heard of newborn girls having a period?!?! She said it could happen. Thankfully it DIDN’T! But I’m glad she warned me b/c if I saw blood down there I would have FREAKED. She did have a little white discharge but that’s it. 

The nurse did lecture us a little about doing better cleaning her cord stump with alcohol at each diaper change. I’m sorry but I HATE that. It seemed like it bothered her so I didn’t do it that hardcore. I also knew once we went to our pediatrician that he’d tell us not to clean it so often. 

I was SO thankful for such a good appointment!!! We have a perfect healthy baby girl and we couldn’t be more blessed!!!

We still had over an hour until her next feeding and child was DEAD asleep. I was feeling so good and so happy I told Zach we should go on a date! I mean why not? Go grab some lunch together while she sleeps! We rarely get alone time just us and her so why not take advantage? He thought I was nuts and reminded me about the pertussis concerns. Oh yeah. That! So we didn’t go anywhere and instead went home 😉 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

2 Day Hospital Visit

Links to Amazon are affiliate links.

Brittlynn was born on Tuesday, we left the hospital on Thursday and we had to go back to the hospital for her two day (since leaving the hospital) check up on Saturday. They said we could bring her by anytime from 2-4. Easier said than done when your toddler naps from 1-3:30! Zach and I discussed it, and it’s something we’re going to have to remind each other of over and over again. Now that we have a baby, Kye’s schedule comes second to her schedule. The first year of a baby’s life scheduling is VITAL. Since Kye is older, he is more flexible. We decided to leave based on what was best for Brittlynn so right when she got done nursing we left. Luckily Kye was semi-awake anyway so it worked out perfectly.

It was our first time taking Brittlynn out and we had both kids with us. It went pretty smoothly! Luckily, she likes the car (at least so far) and slept the entire way. We didn’t make Kye sit in silence and we all sang Christmas songs on the way there. He was nervous that we were going back to the hospital to leave Brittlynn there (makes sense seeing as that’s where she came from when we got her). I had to reassure him that they were just going to check her then we’d bring her home.

When we got there we had to ring the nurses station and Elizabeth came out and greeted us!!! It worked out perfectly because I had a thank you card and massage gift certificate for her. 🙂 We visited for awhile, and I REALLY like her. Not just as a nurse but as a legit person too. She said it was so neat to see Kye since she was there when he was born and hasn’t seen him since. She said for us to come up and see her so I may do that! Maybe I can take Britt to get weighed or something as an excuse…and I’ll look for her when Crissy has Olive 😉

We got Brittlynn all dressed up cute…for no reason at all! She was covered with her blanket the whole time then when it was time for them to check her she had to be naked. Poor Zach handled all the undressing and re-dressing and the kid was not happy about it. The whole appointment was so casual. I don’t remember it being that way with Kye at all (you can read about his visit here). I had zero questions and she really didn’t ask me many either.

She asked how breastfeeding was going and I told her it was taking a long time each feeding but that it was going well and she asked for the diaper count. Literally Brittlynn was peeing and pooping at least once per feeding. I think at that point it’s considered good if the baby has like 3 poop diapers a day…she was having 8 or more!!! The nurse said we didn’t have to keep track anymore which was good 😉 She also said Brittlynn didn’t have any signs of jaundice and had beautiful coloring.

Then it was time to weigh her! At birth she weighed 7lb 13 oz. When we left the hospital she had dropped down to 7lb 6oz, which is very normal (it was actually Kye’s birth weight!). Only two days later she had gained 5 oz and was weighing 7lb 11oz!!!! The nurse couldn’t believe it…she said that it’s rare to see that, especially for a breastfed baby. Made me feel SO proud and the nurse was mega impressed. She said she’d be letting the lactation lady know how awesome we were doing. I don’t typically brag about stuff but I was hardcore PUMPED about her weight gain! I put that junk on facebook and texted all our family members about it. I was nursing practically around the clock and to see it pay off so quickly was exciting. I knew we had a good thing going and a healthy baby. It’s a HUGE blessing and something to be proud of for sure!

While we were dealing with Brittlynn, Kye was socializing with the people in the hallway outside the room.  Some nurses caught his attention and he was in Heaven entertaining them while he waited. When we were done, they let us know that they enjoyed it too…such a ladies man.

The whole “appointment” lasted no longer than 15 min or so and it was wonderful to walk in there feeling so confident and prepared. It’s AWESOME having a second baby because Zach and I both know what’s going on and aren’t running around like clueless crazy people.

On our way into the hospital we actually were waiting for an elevator with another new parent. This young guy was carrying in a HUGE car seat (one of the kinds that Kye now sits in) and had a brand new baby boy. He was cute and so excited but also so, so clueless. He looked at our car seat and said “I don’t think mine does that.” I felt so bad for him. Part of me wanted to tell him to go run to Walmart and buy a different car seat. Those poor new parents would have to lug their baby in that car seat to the car then somehow get the thing in! Thankful we don’t have that problem for sure!

The hospital visit couldn’t have gone any more perfectly. I’m SO proud of my sweet girl and how awesome Zach and I are doing so far as her parents 🙂

1 Comment

  1. Lindsey Thomas
    December 30, 2011 / 4:52 pm

    Thanks for the comment! I hope I enjoy blogging the second time around too and remember to blog! LOL! And congratulations on your beautiful new addition, she's gorgeous!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *