I work with several companies and links to any products within posts are affiliate.
This post covers Kye’s summary from the month of October! To make these posts a little easier to write I started doing monthly family posts as well…you can read our Oct Family Fun post here!
Something I really love about Kye’s school is how they have so many fun dress up days! Everyone knows I love a good theme and we had fun coming up with all of his outfits this month for both red ribbon week as well as Spirit week!
Kye ended up winning a prize for wearing the most red on Red Day!
Showing his spirit!
Crazy Sock Day
Rain Day (which was perfectly timed b/c it was HARDCORE raining)
Our town is very set in tradition and the county schools were always known as the “plowboys” or something? So they have a plowboy day each year where everyone dresses in farmer gear (I believe the high school kids have a dance of some kind related to the same theme). So many people were shocked that I helped Kye participate in dressing up for plowboy day 😉 Honestly we got the overalls as a hand-me-down otherwise he probably wouldn’t have looked as legit! He makes one handsome farmer!
I feel like this month was the month that Kye really just got into a good solid groove with school. The transition to Discovery was a little rocky but we worked it out and he started enjoying all aspects of his school day!
One of his projects this month was for us to create a musical instrument out of household items! I LOVE how our drum turned out! We used an oatmeal canister and covered it with materials we already had. We, of course, had to have some hidden Mickey’s 😉
Kye LOVES the bus and I love seeing him each afternoon 🙂
First report card and teacher comments…he’s off to a great start this year!
I enjoyed getting to each lunch with him and a benefit for when Tess does drop her morning nap is that we will be able to go more often!
An author came to visit his class this month and he was able to get a signed copy of her book!
I have noticed a shift in Kye’s writing. Last year he had SUPER neat writing and it’s getting sloppier as time goes on. I think now that he’s more comfortable with writing he just writes things faster and doesn’t take the time to write neatly. I can’t fault him for it though…Mama’s handwriting is not neat by any means 😉
So cute for Brad’s birthday card!
I think he may take after his daddy for his love of PE (Not gonna front…I was that kid that got my mom to write a note so I wouldn’t have to play Nukem ha!)
Of course above all else we are proud of Kye’s love for the Lord and his desire to share that love with others. He wrote these letters this month and wanted each of his grandparents to have a copy. So precious!!!
It reads: I want you to know about Jesus. He is kind. He dies on the cross for our sings and rose from the dead for 40 days and went to Heaven one day. And he helped people that are sick and dead and bling people. And he had special people that helped him and they helped him teach people. And he even got gold gifts from some camel riders.
Page 2: Also he made just a little of food into a lot of food. You can not see him because he is in Heaven. Heaven is when you die. You will do then and it is the most wonderful place ever made and you will never make bad choices and you will live forever.
Sweet letter Kye wrote for Big Papa after his eye injury (side note: please send up some extra prayers as Mr. Rusty is traveling to Jacksonville Monday to meet with a specialist!)
Everyone around Big Papa’s bed 🙂 Daddy’s nose cracked me up!
Kye has a lamp in his room that comes on each morning to let him know he’s allowed to get out of bed. Great for school days. Not so great for Saturdays 🙂 We talked to Kye about learning to make some of his own breakfast so we could stay in bed a little longer. I even found a deal on pop tarts so he gets to make them on Saturdays!
Kye had to do some extra work on his Disney book because he’s had so many trips more than Britt has!
Kye LOVES to read! He loved it even before AR tests started but man that’s just extra motivation! He reads his books 3 times a day and takes an AR test each morning and always gets a 100 (and a few 80s).
When school started Kye stopped having nap time but on the weekends we will still have him rest in his room sometimes, play in his room solo sometimes, and then sometimes he gets to do special things. The advantage of a first born child! B/c you know when the time comes for Britt not to nap that she won’t get nearly as much solo time as he does 🙂
Snacks and football!
Hardworking boy 🙂
Kye came home mentioning boy scouts and that got us really more motivated to make a camping trip happen. We decided to have it be Kye’s and Zach’s first ever guys trip. Y’all. I was SO upset selfishly about it! I wanted to be there! But I also think that the father/son bond is SUPER important and I knew it was a special time they’d share. They went shopping this month for all their supplies and Zach bought Kye his first pocket knife!
Kye’s favorite game is checkers. Kid loves it and I have a feeling when he gets older he’ll equally love chess! He is ALL about some checkers right now though and this month he broke his losing streak to Daddy. If you’re a regular reader you may remember how frustrated he’d get about a year ago since Zach always beat him. Kye told him he wasn’t going to play with him again until he’s 21 and that he’d only play against me (guess that says a lot about my skill set huh? haha). Welllll he’s far from 21 but he beat Zach! Legit! We were in shock and Kye was pumped 🙂
Ar our brunch at the Egg and I we snapped a pic together and then I found Kye’s own selfie haha
More About Kye This Month:
- Kye talks about how he has two girlfriends (one being Kailyn at church and the other being a girl in his class) and he came home one day saying he got teased on the playground for having too many girlfriends. We had a talk about how you can have LOTS of friends that are girls but only one girl friend at a time 😉
- I think Kailyn won out as he started writing her notes again during church. He told me I couldn’t read it b/c he didn’t want it to hurt my feelings.
- His nails are getting to be too thick for the baby nail clippers I’ve always used. When can gets clip their own nails? I feel like it’s a parenting annoyance that is rarely discussed but drives me crrrrrazy.
- At Kye’s Fall Festival he saw a girl he knew from school but she was a little way away from us. He called out to her, by name, to say hello. He called multiple times. Got closer to her and continued to call out to her. She straight up saw him and ignored him. Whew it was a tough mama moment for me b/c I felt embarrassed for him and wanted to tell that little girl to quit being rude and say hello. But I knew that wasn’t the right move in that situation. When we got in the car I asked him about what had happened. And that night when I tucked him in and asked about anything being on his heart he wanted to talk about the situation in more depth. We decided that either it wasn’t the right girl (although he was pretty sure it was) or that she was ignoring him. I talked to him about when someone hurts our feelings the best thing to do is go to them and talk to them about it. He was nervous but he was also hurt and embarrassed and needed to confront it. I was VERY proud of him in the way he handled it. We made a game plan and when he went to school he first asked her if she had seen him at the festival (to rule out our first option of it not being the right person) and she said yes. So then he simply said “it hurt my feelings when I said hey to you and you ignored me, why did you do that?” She didn’t apologize or answer him and just walked away. Um. RUDE. So my talk then turned into how sometimes people are just mean and that you don’t always do anything to cause it to happen. It was def a teachable moment and I hate that at such a young age that kind of behavior is already beginning!
- Two kids in Kye’s class live on our street!
- Kye’s teeth are getting super close together and he’s constantly getting food stuck and asking to floss.
- His mannerisms are 100% his DADDY. I used to think he was just like me but man he’s his Daddy made over ALL the way!
- Also like his Daddy he gets annoyed with me if I talk too much so I try not to overly ask a lot of questions or overly explain things to him. I try to keep it simple and ask him more open ended type stuff and let him know I’m always here but he doesn’t have to share unless he wants to. I think we have a great communication system and I ALWAYS want that door to open with him!
- He loves watching football on Saturdays with Zach and he hates to miss any of the plays and loves to discuss it all in-depth with Zach.
- We told him that when he went camping with Zach that he could chew gum for the first time and he was SO PUMPED about it
- He’s often hungry after school (they eat lunch at 1050!) but we eat dinner at 5:30. He gets off the bus at 3:30 so I hate for him to eat too big of a snack. I told him he could have a healthy snack and he said “what, I can’t have raisins which are dried grapes?!?”
- Kye reading to Britt
- Big Kid Dancing Show
- Playing with a remote car with Tess
- Kye gave Carter some toys and Carter sent him this thank you video 😉
Crazy Boy Kye 😉
I have an old Where’s Waldo book that Kye found and he loves it!
So proud of my big boy and thankful he’s mine!