I work with several companies and links to any products within posts are affiliate.
Here is all about Kye’s month of January!
Cinderella Date: I heard that Cinderella was going to be playing in our town and I thought it’d be SO fun for Kye and I to go see. I did not, however, realize that a) it was a straight up ballet and b) it was actually more of a recital for the local dance studio. Oops! We invited Robyn and Lorelai to come with us and I was proud of how well both kids did with it. Right when it started Kye turned to me and said “this is BORING.” As the girls kept coming out to do their dances he kept saying “not another one” haha The people around us kept laughing 😉 He did appreciate the hard work the dancers put in and also said, many times “that’s a hard move!” We had a fun afternoon even if it wasn’t exactly what I had anticipated (I thought it was more of a PLAY and was put on by the college program). It was still neat to see many of the little girls from our church perform and I’m glad we were able to cheer them on! However, I don’t see us attending another ballet anytime soon either 😉
Got to see Kailyn!
After the show we went to Zaxby’s with Robyn and Lorelai for dinner and then Kye wanted to go to The Mix for dessert. They were actually closed so we hit up some Steak and Shake instead 🙂
We left early for our “date” as I had some coupons for Old Navy that I needed to redeem. Kye did GREAT being patient with me while I shopped and he asked me if he could buy these (ugllllly) Angry Birds shorts. He’s never played the game (and neither have I?) but Stevie always loved Angry Birds and so Kye knows who they are and always is drawn to their merchandise when we go places. I found him an Angry Birds shirt at a kids sale and the shorts were on mega clearance so I figured, why not? They are also about 2-3 sizes too big but he LOVES to wear them. 🙂
Christmas Gifts to Good Use: Back in Nov we bought a fire pit for our bonfire night. Zach really didn’t want to buy it, but he has LOVED using it! Which cracks me up 🙂 He and the kids go out back all the time and make a little fire. Of course, they also indulge in some s’mores too 🙂
I LOVE buying gifts for the kids for Christmas but it’s always interesting to see which ones become the most used and which ones get quickly forgotten about. I am glad we got Kye his own little tent. I think once it warms up he will use it a lot outside (he’s already asked to go legit camping in it) and we have fun setting it up inside too! The sleeping bags we got the kids only help add to the “camping” feel!
We bought Kye some accessories to go with his Peter Pan set and they haven’t been a huge hit with him. I think part of it is because I keep it all in a basket in his room and he just doesn’t play in there very often. If you are ever on the hunt for a GREAT boy gift…a bucket of army men! Seriously! Our army guys get played with, by both kids, constantly.
I love how much Kye loves his wooden train sets. A good bit of the tracks were actually my brother’s when I was a kid. I found them in my dad’s storage shed that he was going to throw away! I’m so glad we saved them and love seeing Kye enjoy them so much! We are not into Thomas stuff but he loves any train type things. Zach loves to build big huge track cities with him and we let him leave it out for several days to enjoy!
I really hesitated on getting the magna blocks because they were so expensive! But I’m truly glad we splurged on them. The possibilities of things to build are endless and both kids enjoy it so much! Kye is always wanting to build towers (and Britt is always wanting to knock them down!).
Helpful Heart: One of my favorite things about Kye is his love for helping others. When I mailed out all the Muscle and Shovel books he truly wanted to help in the process. He enjoys serving others and that is something I really admire about him! I love that he helped spread God’s love to the people who received the books and I hope y’all have enjoyed them 🙂
Playing: Kye isn’t what I’d call a “natural play” type child. He doesn’t do what I think would be typical of most kids his age when given freedom to play…90% of the time when he wakes up from nap he tells me he wants to “do work.” Seriously! He wants to sit and draw or color or cut out papers. He enjoys writing his letters and especially likes to go outside and just dig random holes. So funny!
Playroom: We are on the final touches of the playroom so be looking for a room tour soon! But we spent a LOT of time playing up there during Jan! We moved Britt’s kitchen up there and moved all the toys from the old playroom to the new one. The kids LOVE IT!
Little Sister Lovin: Britt still really truly just adores Kye and wants to be around him all the time. For the most part he handles it rather well. I do feel bad for him at times because I’m sure it’s annoying to have a shadow!
You can really tell how much she ADORES him…look how close she always stands next to him in pics 🙂
Smile Ready: Kye is always, 100% camera ready. Britt’s at a stage where she has this super silly smile but Kye’s smile? is the same no matter what! And he will just stand there and keep on smiling haha. It def makes picture taking a breeze with him!
Bed: I remember when Kye was Britt’s age he LOVED playing in the bed. I think it’s one of the reasons he transitioned so well to the big kid bed, because he always wanted to play in ours! Britt is in a similar stage and I will often find them both being silly in our bed or in Kye’s room. On this day they asked to make our bed for me! They did a great job helping and then, of course, destroyed it by tickling and hiding!
Another morning I caught them in Kye’s bed with him reading to her. SO sweet. I snapped pics with my phone which I don’t tend to do but I didn’t want to miss the moment!
Other Stuff with Kye this Month:
- I mentioned before that we now have Kye’s lamp in his room on a timer. It turns on at 7:10 in the morning and 3:40 in the afternoons. It stays on for an hour and it lets him know that it’s okay to get out of his bed. It’s going WONDERFUL! Props to Kelly for the idea 🙂 He really enjoys coming in and waking me up in the mornings! Over Christmas break I was super mega out of it (early pregnancy) and I loved waking up to those sweet cuddles 🙂
- When he comes in to wake me up he will tell me to stretch my arms and my legs and my belly bc it’s good for the baby 😉
- Another morning when he woke me up he said “Mommy I will take care of you your whole life.” After he said it he got very sad and said he doesn’t want to grow up because it means he will get older and that Zach and I will get older and he doesn’t want us to die. It happened to be a Saturday morning so Zach was in the bed beside me and he overheard this and immediately said “he sounds JUST like you” haha It really is CRAZY to me how much Kye and I think so similarly! I used to fear growing up for that exact reason!
- One afternoon I wasn’t home and Zach fell asleep on the couch during the kids naps. I guess Kye’s lamp turned on so Kye got up but instead of waking Zach, he just played quietly for like an hour!
- This month we started dealing with pouty/whiny issues with Kye. He likes to get his way and gets upset when he doesn’t. I am the SAME way. Growing up my parents always told me I’d be a lawyer because I learned how to negotiate. Kye negotiates a lot and we often have to tell him to just say “yes ma’am” and accept our no as a no.
- He also started to try to delay bedtime and I had to tell him that if he was going to start taking forever to go to bed then we’d have to start the process earlier and stop playing a game together. It really did the trick!
- He is a big time “mama’s boy” right now and I love it. It really is true what they say about boys and their mamas. For a LONG time Kye really favored Zach and it bugged me how people would say “boys just love their mommies don’t they?” because I didn’t feel like he really had that kind of connection to me…but he def does now!
- Still whistles all the time. He can whistle the tune of Happy Birthday as well as Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
- For Christmas G-Mama got him a basketball game where we can compete against each other to make baskets and he’s LEGIT super good at it. Like I try my hardest and can’t beat him!
- Jan was a tough month with Hermey (our Elf on the Shelf) leaving…Kye talked about him a lot and how much he missed him!
- Kye enjoys entertaining us with the songs he makes up 🙂 Here is a video of his song “You Can’t Fit There”
- Kye told us that he has decided when he plays football he wants to play quarterback and wear #85 on his jersey. Zach said it was the happiest moment of his life hahaha
- Jordan left a shirt at our house and Kye said “Uncle Jordan always leave stuff at our house every time” It’s SO funny how Kye will constantly call Jordan out haha
- Kye told us at dinner one night that when he grows up he is for sure not marrying Britt b/c she is too crazy 😉
- I got my hair done and picked up Kye from school and the first thing he said to me was “Mommy your hair looks beautiful!” I told him to always remember to notice things like that for his future wife! Sure way to win points 😉
- One morning he told me he had an awesome dream all about Elsa (from Frozen) and that he was dancing with her. Think he has a crush? 😉
- G-Mama took Kye on a date this month to go see Frozen again! He had the best time with her and I’m glad she takes the time to do special things with the kids!
- I had to give Kye a spanking and after I spanked him I went to hold him like I normally do and he looked at me and said “do not touch me” ugh. It broke my HEART. I cried later and had a big talk with Zach about if I could handle spanking him anymore or not. I actually talked to my hair dresser about it too and she made SUCH a good point about how I may try other things but will come to realize that spanking works best and is best for Kye in the long run. And that’s kinda what happened. I like to be consistent and it’s the most consistent thing. He rarely has to get spankings and usually I will just tell him that Daddy will spank him so I don’t have to (and it’s always more effective when coming from Daddy anyway)
Here are more pictures from this month!
This makes my heart SO happy!
Kye has been obsessed with wearing this necklace!
and is really into “thumbs up!”
My handsome boy!