I work with several companies and links to any products within posts are affiliate.
Brittlynn turned 8 Months old on August the 6th. Our 7 Month pics didn’t go so great so I was a tad nervous about these…but ohmygoodness. My little cutie was just showing off her little personality! I think these are my favorites yet!!!!
Of course I’m using What to Expect the First Year to see where Brittlynn is at in comparison to other babies her age with her development at this point!
Her facial expressions crack me up!
At 8 months old Brittlynn is doing everything a baby her age should be able to do including:
- bear some weight on her legs when held upright
- feed self a cracker
- rake with fingers an object and pick it up in fist
- turn in direction of a voice
- look for a dropped object
She can do all of the things an 8 month old baby will probably be able to do including:
- pass a cube or other object from one hand to the other
- stand holding onto someone or something
- object if you try to take a toy away
- work to get a toy that’s out of reach
- play peekaboo
- get into a sitting position from stomach
Her “surprise” face
She can do all of the things an 8 month old may possibly be able to do including:
- creep or crawl
- pull up to standing position from sitting
- pick up tiny object with any part of thumb and finger
- say “mama” or “dada” indisciminately
Brittlynn can do one thing that a baby her age may even be able to do and that’s understand “no” even if she doesn’t always obey it!
The other things that a baby this age may be able to do that Britt hasn’t quite mastered include:
- play patty-cake (clap hands) or wave bye-bye (don’t worry…they are both coming up in next month’s post haha)
- walk holding onto furniture/cruising (spoiler alert: so is this!)
- stand alone momentarily
THERE’S my pretty girl picture 🙂
This months chapter had some good reminders about crib safety as your baby gets older…
- The book says to consider removing all bumpers. Obviously I have an OLDER addition of the book. I hope and pray that the new additions say to NEVER put bumpers in the crib to begin with. Big SIDS risk guys!!! Many states are actually outlawing them and I’m hopeful that by baby #3 they will be completely off the market!
- Lowering the mattress is important (which we’ve done!)
- It recommends taking down the mobile once Britt is able to reach it…which she isn’t yet
- It also recommends to take out any big toys that the baby could use to climb on…again…big toys don’t belong in the crib to begin with!
- Continue to avoid using blankets and pillows as prevention against SIDS
- Don’t use a canopy over the crib, it can strangle or suffocate your baby
- Make sure crib is well out of reach of any wires or window pull cords
- Install a teething rail to prevent baby from chewing on it (we had one already on it for decoration)
- When baby is 35 inches long it’s time to move to a big bed…I don’t even think KYE is 35 inches long yet is he?!?! That seems super tall to still be in a crib???
A LOT of this chapter is some GREAT material on baby proofing your home…things to watch out for with swallowing, etc. It’s a great resource to refer to and if you own the book I highly recommend reading over this section. I personally don’t do a lot of baby proofing. I try to train my children to respect boundaries. I don’t believe in putting away all the breakables just because we have kids. Our kids need to learn not to touch them. I am careful to give my children proper age-related boundaries. Kye can handle having “free reign” over the entire downstairs of our home. Brittlynn can handle a small space within a room, being the same room that I am also in. This way I can train her and teach her and slowly, with time, she’ll be able to handle larger and larger boundaries. Even with Kye I still don’t let him have true free reign. Sometimes he’ll go play in his room while I’m in the kitchen but usually he’s in the room I’m in or in the room right beside where I am. We actually haven’t done anything to further baby proof our home now that Brittlynn is mobile! We have gotten down the HUGE gate we have to start blocking her into certain areas but otherwise our house is exactly the same!
Here’s a TON more cute pics from this month!!!
I love this sneaky face 😉
I have visions of using her monthly pics somehow at her first birthday so I do try to get at least one of her sitting with the pillow…
Tickling always gets the smiles!
FOR sure my favorite this month!!!
You can look back at her 7 month pics here and at Kye’s 8 month post here. Its neat to see their similarities in their development…she seems so ahead of the game to me but she’s actually right about where Kye was at this point!
Rate This Post:
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!