Links to Amazon are affiliate links.
As Kye enters his 5th month I like to look at where he is in comparision to What To Expect The First Year discusses is the “norm” for a child his age.
Kye is on target for the following things the book mentions:
- on stomach lift head 90 degrees
- laugh out loud
- follow an object in an arc about 6 inches above the face for 180 degrees (one side to the other)
- hold head steady when upright
- on stomach, raise chest, supported by arms
- grasp a rattle held to backs or tips of fingers
- pay attention to a small object
- reach for an object
- squeal in delight
- roll over one way (but ONLY when he feels like it which is rare!)
- turn in the direction of a voice, particularly mommy’s (he also does this for daddy or when he hears daddy’s voice on the answering machine!)
- say “ah-goo” or similar vowel-consonant combinations (like mooooom, my fav!)
- razz (make a wet razzing sound)
- bear some weight on legs when held upright
- turn in in the direction of a voice
- Keep head level with body when pulled to sitting
- sit without support (he’s no where even CLOSE to being able to do this! I can see him standing unsupported before sitting haha!)
- objecct if you try to take a toy away
Next week we go to his 4 month appt at the dr. and I’m trying my best to come up with every question I can to ask them. I haven’t ever called them with questions and they are a pain when you do call even for an appointment so I really want to do all my asking while I’m there! I kinda wish babies had to go to the dr. more often because going to my obgyn visits while I was pregnant was annoying but it was also nice because I could ask all my questions on a regular basis. I have to wait 2 MONTHS now in between appts!!! That’s more annoying than if we had to go up there all the time! I just am nervous that I’ll forget to ask something…any questions I should ask while I’m there?