This is Kye's summary from June! I'm enjoying the weekly recaps and love how they make these posts MUCH shorter and easier to write. It makes me dread them less ;) I know my kids will really enjoy these someday but they are my least favorite blog posts because they are so time consuming!
This month we spent a LOT of time having FUN. I really, really love summer with the kids and this summer was especially important to me because Kye will start all day school in the fall. If you haven't read our summer recaps, they are full of a lot of fun stuff as that was my goal this summer!
We swim a good bit in the summer and this has been the first year Kye has needed to start wearing goggles. Even though we have a salt system his eyes are just sensitive and they started getting really red when he did a lot of swimming. It's hilarious because I just let him use my goggles and they fit him just fine haha. Big headed child ;)
Checkers is Kye's favorite game. I feel bad for him because no one else really ever wants to play. I personally am not a checkers fan. Man it's sooooo long and I just don't have the time or mental space anymore for that. I always feel like I have a million things I should be doing and Kye loves playing against me because he typically wins ;) Britt is old enough now to where she wants to play with him but she also gets bored with it quickly. Usually she and I will be on a team and I will tell her where to move each piece and then she gets bored so Kye and I just play and then I get bored and line myself up to get jumped haha! I do good up until there are just kings left. Then I'm over it!
Kye really blossomed in his reading towards the end of the school year so I really wanted to keep that ball rolling and make sure he stayed on top of his reading. He no longer sleeps during naps but still has nap time. During that time he has a journal he writes in every day and then he will read books. He LOVES to read! And he's so great at it! There are no pauses or sounding out words...he just READS :)
Kye still very much loves to do for others. He is always making me little notes and thinking of ways to make me feel special. He is such a blessing to others!
He finds boxes and fills them with crafts he's made for me
The only downside of Kye's ability to read is card picking. I used to be able to just sit there and read a few cards and find what I wanted to buy but now Kye wants to pick out the cards and sits and reads through a bunch of them...and has to be reminded to stay in the 99 cent section :)
He picked this one for Big Papa and he's starting to use humor in his card writing...just like his daddy always does!
I always have read that at about this age kids stop thinking chores and such are fun but not Kye! He loves it and will constantly ask me what he can do around the house! It's awesome because he's able to LEGIT help!
He's even getting legit helpful in the kitchen too! Finally!!!
With his abilities comes that desire for more responsibility and independence. He's started begging me to let him make lunch for everyone. One day I had a bad migraine (which rarely happens to me anymore thank the lord) and he told me to just go lay in bed and he'd watch the girls and make their lunch. Tempting offer haha but I did let him make the lunch for them, at least most of it.
Another day, more help from my lunch partner!
He and Britt picked these flowers for me one evening :)
Kye is really into photography and is constantly using his or Britt's camera to take pictures or asking if he can use mine. I don't mind letting him use mine at all and hope he enjoys it enough to where we can have some soft of photographer talent in the family ;)
I'm so thankful for my days at home with him. I know this era is coming to an end and I just want to soak it up as much as I can. One afternoon I told him to get up early from nap and we had a mini date where we drank some hot chocolate and just shared our hearts. I love my boy!
Kye is the best big brother. He truly looks out for his sisters and takes such good care of them. Britt does test his patience though but with Tess he's yet to ever be annoyed or bothered. I'm interested to see how that evolves and changes over time!
This is everything haha I can tell he's thinking "Oh sister!"
More About Kye This Month:
- Kye does not like getting hot outside, he would much rather do crafts inside!
- He really needs his alone time and I'd for sure say he's an "introvert"
- I downloaded Dubsmash this month after Courtney and Jolee were obsessed with it on our beach trip...I don't get the appeal? And neither did Kye haha he thought it was super dumb!
- I do have two apps Kye can utilize on my iPad: one for math facts and another for site words. I allow him to do those a couple times a week and feel that with those combined with the journalling and reading he should be good to go for school!
- Phillip Phillip's song "Home" is Kye's FAVORITE. I love it too and we blast it on the regular!
- I was SO proud of Kye on our Parker family trip. Mr. Rusty is that type of person that always, always has the TV on. I'm thankful that it's at least on sports so it's not as bad but I still don't like my kids watching tv...especially commercials. We've trained the kids to turn away and not look when they know something bad is on tv and while we were on the trip I saw Kye, on his own, turn his head away so he wouldn't see the commercials when he was watching sports with Big Papa!
- Kye prays a lot for "bad guys" and prays that someone will tell them about Jesus
- I asked Kye what he thinks his best quality is and he said his heart :)
- I love that Kye is so into taking pictures now. I mentioned how it'd be cool for him to take lots of pics when he grows up and he said that he's going to give his wife the camera and tell her to do the same job I do (blogging) with the pictures he takes of their kids ;)
- Kid can GRUB. He is constantly asking for 2nd and 3rd helpings at dinner. Grocery shopping is about to get more expensive! I told Zach that really Tess in the family is doubling our grocery bill because Kye is eating twice as much and Tess eats the same amount as Britt already!
- When we went to the library to see the animals Kye raised his hand to speak when they were showing the kids the alligator. In that room full of people he went on and on about the Bible and related the alligators to some story about kings in the bible. It was a little embarrassing because he was rather long winded but MAN I was so proud of him. He speaks the truth about God's word whenever possible and brings everything back to God! He's going to touch so many lives and lead so many to Jesus if he keeps that up!
- He adores Tess but has started to get a little rougher with her. I had to explain to him that he's strong like Daddy and that he doesn't like it when Daddy is too rough with him so he needs to be careful not to be too rough with her too!
- Kye's one and only dubsmash video ;)
- Kye and Britt playing super heroes!
- Our cool outdoor discovery: ants eating a but ;)
- We sent Carter this video on his birthday (Tess slacked on her morocco playing ha!)
- This is from the lemonade stand and when Kye was trying to attract customers!
- Jumps into the pool
- More jumps
- Slow motion Kye jump!
- More tricks in the pool
I love this precious boy!